I just finished devouring, quite possibly, the most delicious piece of apple pie I’ve ever eaten. Yeah, it was that good. Even better, what made me so happy was that Mason had finished his piece by the time I sat down to eat mine! 🙂 His appreciation for my cooking/baking always feels good. Nothing spectacular about this pie, other than it being entirely homemade, “from scratch”. I must admit, I cannot stand storebought pies. The only apple pie I can even compare in taste or the enjoyment factor would be the Caramel Apple Pie Mom O’Hara always had for us on breaks.
Considering this pie experience was so good, here is my first recipe post:
(9 inch Pie Pan)
Pat-in Pie Crust (This is the original recipe-double recipe to have enough dough for both bottom and top crust)
1 1/2 c flour (I use half whole wheat flour)
2 tsp sugar (I use local honey )
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
2 TB milk
- In medium bowl, combine first 3 ingredients.
- Add oil and milk; blend well.
- Pat in 9-inch pan, fluting edge, if desired. (When doubling, split dough into 2 parts, setting aside half for top crust.)
6 cups of peeled, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
1 tbsp lemon juice (I did not measure, and just drizzled around the bowl and tossed the apples in it)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Mix apple slices and lemon juice.
- Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cloves in a large bowl
- Gently mix apple slices into dry ingredients until slices are coated.
- Transfer apple mixture into pie plate (with crust).
- On a sheet of plastic wrap, pat out the other half of the dough. Gently transfer to the top of the pie. Pat together edges of crust. (Because this crust is pat-in, it is fragile and may fall apart on transfer. Still turns out wonderful and beautifully bumpy when finished baking. Just be sure there are slits/cracks in the top crust for steam to escape.)
- Bake for 40 min. at 375* with foil wrapped around edges (prevents blackened edge of crust).
- Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
What’s your favorite apple pie/dessert recipe?
I love this! Way to go, Marla! And what a wonderful picture of the two of you…you go, girl! Love you
Thanks, Sandy! You are such an encourager!
Good post, I really enjoyed this post. I’m opening up a blog website and am in the middle of creating rather diverse content. Would you object if I blog about this? I will of course give you and this post full credit and add a link to this page :D.
You are welcome to link to this!
Ted, you are always welcome to link back and mention my blog. Thanks for the shout out!
Sounds like a great pie but lets be honest, when has Mason met a pie he didn’t like? LOL
okay, Jordan, you’re probably right… well, not true…rhubarb is not his thing! haha!